All residents of and owners of properties in Mosman Park are invited to complete the Town of Mosman Park’s 2016 Community Scorecard.
We are keen to hear your views on local services and facilities and your ideas about how the local area can be improved. This information will assist Council in planning to meet your needs.
CATALYSE® Pty Ltd, an independent research and strategic planning company, has been appointed to assist with this study. All results will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence. When reporting results, CATALYSE® only presents aggregated or anonymous data.
The survey will be delivered to all Mosman Park households and PO boxes in early May, and is also available to complete online here
By completing this survey you will also help the Town to participate in a benchmark study to see how we’re performing against other local governments. The survey is now open to all members of your household aged 14 years or older and closes on Friday 27 May.
A summary of survey results will be posted on the Town’s website.
If you have any questions about this study, please contact Kristy Arnott, Manager Community Development, on 9384 1633 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you.
In his speech on ANZAC Day, Mayor Ron Norris spoke about a local man who went on to receive the very highest accolades for his service during The Great War 1914-1918. Read on to find out more about this local architect who represented our community in such an outstanding way.
Joseph John Talbot Hobbs (1864-1938), source: Australian Dictionary of Biography
Sir Joseph John Talbot Hobbs (1864-1938), architect and soldier, was born on 24 August 1864 in London, son of Joseph Hobbs, a journeyman joiner who became a clerk of works, and his wife Frances Ann, née Wilson. He was educated at St Mary's Church School, Merton, Surrey. He worked as architectural draftsman to a builder, John Hurst, with whom he migrated to Perth in 1887. There he began work as a carpenter but soon set up practice as an architect. On 24 April 1890 he married Hurst's daughter, Edith Ann, at St George's Anglican Cathedral; they had three sons and four daughters. Talbot Hobbs became a leader in the small band of Perth architects. He was first treasurer of the newly formed West Australian Institute of Architects in 1896 (president, 1909-11) and prospered in the 1890s. His success in the competition for the design of the Weld Club in 1891 began a series of commissions for important buildings, both public and private, in Perth and Fremantle. In 1905 he set up the firm Hobbs, Smith & Forbes in which he was the senior partner.
His small stature and seeming frailness belied the energy and range of activities which distinguished Hobbs throughout his life. He was a keen sportsman, interested in fencing, gymnastics, rowing, sailing and boxing. A devout Christian, he was deeply involved in the affairs of the Anglican Church, serving in synod and on various councils and as architect to the diocese of Perth. Above all he was devoted to soldiering which became virtually a second career parallel to architecture. Beginning with service in the 1st Cinque Ports Artillery Volunteers in 1883, he joined the Volunteer Field Artillery in Perth in 1887 and was commissioned in 1889. In 1903 he commanded the 1st (Western Australian) Field Battery, Australian Field Artillery, by 1908 as lieutenant-colonel the Western Australian Mixed Brigade, and in 1913 the 22nd Infantry Brigade in the rank of colonel. He studied to prepare himself for war, attending gunnery courses in England in 1902 and 1906 and the department of military science course, University of Sydney, in 1909. He was attached to the British Army for training in 1897 and 1913. Most of this was at his own expense. He was also staff officer for army engineering services in 1906-12 and aide-de-camp to the governor-general in 1908-17. He supported the introduction of compulsory training and was a leader in the development of service rifle-shooting. His devotion to the army made lasting impressions typified in a letter from a Gallipoli veteran in 1934: 'He gave his Youth, Leasure [sic] and Purse to perfect himself and us'.
On the outbreak of war in 1914 Hobbs was given command of the artillery of the 1st Division, Australian Imperial Force. During the first few weeks on Gallipoli in 1915 he clashed with his commander, Major General (Sir) W. T. Bridges, over the employment of his guns. Bridges insisted that they be dragged up the steep ridges and emplaced in the front line although their fire was ineffective. However, by June Hobbs and the other artillery commanders had organized a workable deployment of all batteries so that the Anzac front was covered. He commanded the 1st Division temporarily in October but despite his protests was evacuated from Gallipoli on 9 November suffering from dysentery. He was appointed C.B. at this time.
After the expansion of the A.I.F. in March 1916 Hobbs went to France with the increased 1st Divisional Artillery which he commanded successfully throughout the heavy fighting for Pozières and Mouquet Farm. He was acting commander of the 1st Anzac Corps Artillery from October until December when he was given command of the 5th Division. His promotion to major general followed on 1 January 1917. For two years Hobbs 'commanded a division with great distinction, made fewer mistakes than most, and earned the undying affection of 20,000 men', according to Major General Sir Brudenell White who had special opportunities for observing him. Lieutenant-General Sir John Monash considered he 'succeeded fully as the Commander of a Division, by his sound common sense, and his sane attitude towards every problem'. Hobbs was known for his justice and integrity and quickly won the affection and loyalty of his staff. He created harmony throughout his division which became 'the ruling passion of his life'. Looking back to 1917-18 in 1938, he declared those years to have been the most momentous and wonderful of all.
When his division was in the line he was frequently with his brigadiers, one of whom was the redoubtable H. E. Elliott. During the advance to the Hindenburg line in March 1917 Elliott ordered an attack in flagrant disobedience of Hobbs's orders, the latter stopped the operation and drove immediately to Elliott's headquarters. Had word of this affair reached the corps commander, Lieutenant-General Sir William Birdwood, Elliott could hardly have escaped dismissal. Hobbs would also speak bluntly to his superiors; on at least three occasions he protested against the employment of his division when he knew that it was in dire need of rest. He so impressed Birdwood on this point in May 1917, before the 2nd battle of Bullecourt, that his representations were passed on to General Headquarters with the result that all the Australian divisions were withdrawn to rest as they came out of that battle. He played a notable part in the heavy fighting of 3rd Ypres, especially in September at Polygon Wood, where his determination helped to turn an adverse situation into a remarkable victory. He was appointed K.C.B. in December.
In April 1918 Hobbs was largely responsible for the recapture of Villers-Bretonneux. His diary for 27 April claims: 'I really planned it—but I feel I should never get the credit of it'. In the quieter period following this feat he was concerned with the development of a steel casemate for machine-guns in the trenches. It was his own invention and its manufacture was ordered by (Sir) Winston Churchill, the British minister for munitions. The early deliveries of the casemate in France coincided with the great allied offensives so that it was never used in battle. During the controversy over the command of the A.I.F. Hobbs made clear to Prime Minister Billy Hughes and others his support for Birdwood's retention of the position. He was one of the three generals considered by Birdwood for command of the Australian Corps. In the offensive battles opening on 8 August 1918 he won further laurels especially in the capture of Péronne on 2 September and the piercing of the Hindenburg line at Bellicourt. He temporarily commanded the Australian Corps when it was withdrawn to rest in October and succeeded Monash in command on 28 November 1918 as acting lieutenant-general. Appointed K.C.M.G. in January 1919, he was also awarded the Serbian Order of the White Eagle (1917), the French Croix de Guerre (twice) and was mentioned in dispatches eight times. His son, John Mervyn, a gunner on Gallipoli, was commissioned in 1915, won the Military Cross in France and served after the war in the Indian Army where he was awarded a Bar to the M.C. and became a brigadier. Hobbs's brother, Lieutenant-Colonel Howard Frederick Hobbs, joined the British Army in 1914 and won the Distinguished Service Order and the Military Cross.
Even before he relinquished command of the Australian Corps in May 1919 Hobbs became deeply involved in the erection of memorials to the Australian divisions, having been appointed to select sites, prepare designs and arrange for construction. Four of the five designs were his. He chose Polygon Wood for the memorial to the 5th Division and Villers-Bretonneux for the Australian national memorial. On returning to Perth in October he told an interviewer that he would 'try to become a good citizen again' and that 'for the rest of my life I shall be at the service of the men who did so very much to win this war, the Australian soldiers'. He had hardly resumed civilian life when, in February 1920, he was called to Melbourne as one of a committee of six generals advising the government on the organization, size and equipment of the army. In 1921 he was made commander of the 5th Division and the 13th Mixed Brigade, Australian Military Forces, appointments which he held until retirement from the army in 1927. From 1922 he was military representative on the faculty of engineering, University of Western Australia, which had conferred on him the honorary degree of LL.D. on his return from the war.
Hobbs was busy with his profession; the architect now vied with the soldier but the two were united when he was chosen to design the Western Australian War Memorial which was dedicated in 1929. Athol, his younger son, who had resigned from the Indian Army in 1923, had by then joined his firm. Hobbs was on the Western Australian Board of Architects and was a fellow of the Western Australian, Victorian and British institutes. His success in war had made him an important public figure whose help was continually sought by government, ex-service and private bodies. He was chairman of a committee organizing the visit of the Prince of Wales to Western Australia in 1920, Western Australian commissioner at the Empire Exhibition at Wembley in 1924, and a delegate to the League of Nations Assembly in 1933. At various times he was chief scout of Western Australia, State president of Toc H, a patron of Legacy, warden of the Western Australian War Memorial, and a director of three companies. Above all he devoted himself to the welfare of returned soldiers to whom he was, in the words of one of them, 'our loved commander of the 5th Divvy'.
In April 1938 Hobbs left for France with his wife and daughter to attend the unveiling of the Australian war memorial at Villers-Bretonneux, the competition for which he had adjudicated. He suffered a heart attack at sea and died on 21 April. His body was brought back from Colombo to Perth for burial with state and military honours on 14 May after a service at St George's Cathedral. He was survived by his wife and children. His estate was valued for probate at £31,137. A memorial to Hobbs was unveiled in 1940 on the Esplanade in Perth. Portraits by James Quinn, Frederick Leist and Albert Fullwood are in the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, and by Ernest Buckmaster in the West Australian Army Museum, North Perth.
The Town of Mosman Park’s ANZAC Day commemorations saw a strong showing in spite of unseasonably inclement weather, with the conditions drawing local people together in proximity and in spirit.
The day began when hundreds sheltered from the rain at the Alf Adams Pavilion in Mann Oval for a Gunfire Breakfast prepared by the Rotary Club of Mosman Park. Many families, friends and neighbours enjoyed tucking in to a warm cooked meal, with youngsters braving the showers to kick a football on the Oval. At 10am, approximately 300 people gathered at Memorial Park for the ANZAC Day service that was co-hosted by the Town of Mosman Park and the Mosman Park Sub-branch of the RSL.
Due to the weather, the traditional march-past was cut short as the participants were driven inside. The Town’s Chief Executive Officer, Kevin Poynton, read The Ode, in his role as President of the Mosman Park sub-branch of the RSL.
Wreaths were laid by many community members including The Hon Julie Bishop MP, Minister for Foreign Affairs and federal Member for Curtin; and Premier of Western Australia Colin Barnett MLA and Member for Cottesloe; as well as the Mosman Park Sub-branch of the RSL, and by local school children and the Mosman Bay Sea Scouts. All of the Town’s Councillors were also in attendance.
The service featured songs performed by the Mighty Camelot Choir, including the traditional “Oh God, Our Help in Ages Past,” a hymn that has been performed traditionally at services, thereby remembering WW1 soldiers, as it was contemporary to their time. The service was signed into Auslan by Christy Filipich who is on staff at the Mosman Park Primary School and School for Deaf Children, for the many hearing-impaired residents of Mosman Park, including several families whose children attend the school.
In his speech, Mayor Norris spoke about a local hero, Sir J.J. Talbot Hobbs, a local man who lived in Peppermint Grove, who rose from his station in life as an architect (having designed many notable buildings including the Old Swan Brewery and the Weld Club to name a few) to being one of three key leaders of the Australian Imperial Forces, and whose war service gained renown not just from the King and in Australia, but from allied countries overseas including France and Belgium. Further information about Sir J.J. Talbot Hobbs can be seen here
Ms Bishop then spoke about the ongoing commemorations of the centenary of the ANZAC legend, with 2016 marking the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme. She made the point that Australia, which was but a fledgling nation at that time, punched well above its weight in marshalling together some 600,000 men for the Australian Imperial Forces, all of whom were volunteers, and that the enlistments from Western Australia were more than three times that of the numbers sought. She reinforced the importance in a contemporary context of the personal values forged by the ANZACs on the battlefield – mateship, tenacity, courage and perseverance.
Following the service, hundreds of residents, friends and neighbours then stayed on to enjoy morning tea provided by the Town of Mosman Park, and to enjoy community fellowship, sharing family stories of war and sacrifice, and reflecting upon the meaning of ANZAC Day.
Cr Brett Pollock, who led the service, reminded everyone that the records of all of the war service of our ANZACs were available in the book by Dr Neville Green AM, entitled “Not Just a Name” that features 1,000 entries detailing the stories of local men and women from Mosman Park, Cottesloe and Peppermint Grove.
The book was part-funded by the Town of Mosman Park with copies still available from the Town’s Administration Centre on the corner of Memorial Drive and Bay View Terrace, Mosman Park. The Town’s website also features rare historical and archival details about some of the brave local men who answered the call to serve King and country, never to return – these records can be viewed here
This ANZAC Day marks the 100th anniversary of one of the most infamous battles of the First World War - the Battle of The Somme which began in July 1916 and concluded in November 1916. By the end of the battle, more than one million men lay dead, all for the gaining of a mere six miles of ground.
To read more about the Battle of The Somme, click here
At Memorial Park, in the grounds of the Administration Centre of the Town of Mosman Park, are trees planted in 1934 to remember local young men who served Australia in the First World War, of whom 6 were involved in this epic battle.
Here we have extracted information about these six men, and links to the actual scanned in documents relating to their war service.
Private Patrick Thomas George BAIRD
Private Baird enlisted at East Fremantle on 5.1.1915, at age 20. He is described as being 5'5" tall, with brown hair and blue eyes. He was a light house keeper by profession, who after enlisting travelled to the 'Blackboy Hill' training camp prior to being despatched by ship to Egypt. En route he contracted measles, and spent months in an Egyptian hospital before being cleared for duty and then departing for Plymouth, England prior to joining his unit with the 28th Batallion in France. He died at some time between 3-6 November 1916. His body was never found, and no personal effects were ever recovered. He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal. His father Patrick snr also enlisted, and served in the 16th Batallion - he survived the war and returned to Australia. Patrick Baird Jnr's mother Ellen planted a tree for her son at Memorial Park in 1934.
To view Private Baird's war record and original documents including his enlistment papers and letters from his Mother to the Imperial War Office, click here
Private Samuel Edward CRAKE
Samuel Crake enlisted 11 April 1916 aged 28. He had the occupation of a 'compositor', the son of James Augustus Crake and Louisa Crake, of Mason Street, Cottesloe. He left Fremantle on 10 October 1916 on the 'Suffolk'. He was killed in action on 23 August 1918 and was buried in the town of Harbonnieres, France.
To view Private Crake's war record and original documents including his enlistment papers and images of his personal effects, click here
Private Ernest William HORNER
Ernest Horner was born in Fremantle and enlisted on 24 January 1916 aged 28. His occupation was listed as a 'machinist', abd his next of kin was listed as his wife, Alice Maria Horner. Pte Horner embarked from Fremantle on the 'Suevic' and was killed in action on 16 February 1917 and was buried at the French town of Armentieres. He received the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
To view Private Horner's war record and original documents including his enlistment papers, click here
Private C Allen JOHN and Private Harry JOHN
Born in Busselton, Allen John enlisted on 23 October 1915 at age 20 years, with the occupation of a hairdresser. His mother, Mary John of Thomas Street, Cottesloe Beach (now Mosman Park) . He left from Melbourne on 20 May 1916 on the 'Medic'. He was wounded in action, having been affected by gas, in July 1917. He recovered and returned to duty and was killed in 22 December 1917 and was buried in the town of Ypres. He received the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
Allen John's brother also enlisted, earlier than his brother, on 1 August 1916 at the age of 24 - his profession listed as a chemist. He embarked on 30 October 1916 from Fremantle on the 'Port of Melbourne'and was killed in action in France 4 October 1917. He too is buried at the town of Ypres. He received the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
Harry (left) and Allen (right) John
Private Francis Andrew LYON
Born in Stratharen in Scotland, Francis Andrew Lyon enlisted on 24 July 1916 aged 31. His profession is listed variously as an engineer and as a produce salesman. His next of kin was listed as his wife, Freda Louise Caroline Lyon who lived in St Leonards Street in Cottesloe Beach (now Mosman Park). He embarked from Fremantle on 29 June 1916 on the 'Borda'. He served in France 1917-1918 and died of influenza on 29 August 1918. During his service, Lyon was promoted to Corporal and then to Lance Sergeant and then Sergeant. He was buried in the French town of Longuenesse. He received the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
To view Private Francis Andrew Lyon's record and original documents including his enlistment papers and images of his personal effects, click here
Corporal Lawrence Hammill WHITE
Born in Perth, Corporal White enlisted on 19 October 1914 at the age of 25. His next of kin was listed as his father, E.W. White of Kelmscott. He embarked from Fremantle on 8 February 1915 on the 'Mashobra'. He served in Gallipoli and survived to be sent on to fight in France in 1916, where he suffered gunshot wounds to his face, arm and thigh. He then died of his wounds in October 1916.
To view Corporal Lawrence Hammill White's record and original documents including his enlistment papers and images of his personal effects, click here
The Commonwealth of Australia Gazette of 19 April 1917 records:
"His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to award the Military Medal for Bravery in the field...Corporal Lawrence Hammill White.
Note: He was a Corporal but returned to the rank of Private at his own request. With Corporal White's effects was a letter conveyed on behalf of the Minister for Defense which reads: "I was directed by the Honourable Minister to say it is with feelings of admiration at the gallantry of a brave Australian soldier who nobly laid down his life in the service of our King and Country. I also ask that you accept his deep personal sympathy in the loss which, not only you, but the Australian Army has sustained by the death of Private White, whose magnificent conduct on the field of battle helped to earn for our Australian soldiers a fame which will endure as long as memory lasts."
For information about the ANZAC Day commemoration at the Town of Mosman Park in 2016, click here
Submissions have now closed for the Town of Mosman Park's Disability Access and Inclusion Plan review. Once the submissions have been assessed, the revised Plan will be circulated to the community.
The Town of Mosman Park would like to thank everyone who took the time to contribute to this process - your responses will assist us greatly in guiding and implementing access and inclusion for everyone in Mosman Park.
To read background information about the process, click here
People who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can call the Town of Mosman Park through the National Relay Service.
The Town of Mosman Park has installed solar panels (photo voltaic cells) on the roof of the Administration building. We’re producing power and reducing carbon emissions.