This website may not work correctly in Internet Explorer. We recommend switching to a more secure modern web browser such as Microsoft Edge which is already installed on your computer.

View this website in Edge.

Good to FOGO!

A better bin system is coming to Mosman Park

Building a shed or outbuilding

This page gives an overview of the planning and building requirements for building a shed or outbuilding. You may require development (planning) approval, or building approval, or both. The following information will help you determine what approvals you need and how to lodge an application.

Planning approval for building a shed or outbuilding

Planning approval is usually not required for a development that meets the deemed to comply provisions of the Residential Design Codes (R-Codes – Volume 1) and our local planning policies, and the property is not listed on the Heritage List.

We encourage you to contact us to discuss your project with a Planning Officer.

Building approval for building a shed or outbuilding

Where the proposed works do not meet any of the following exemptions, a building permit is required.

Is a Building Permit required for a shed or outbuilding?

A Building Permit is NOT required for a shed or outbuilding where the construction, erection, assembly or placement of a freestanding Class 10a building that –

  • has a floor area of 10m2 or less; and
  • is no more than 2.4 metres in height; and
  • is not located in a wind region C or D as defined in Australian Standard AS 1170.2.

Do I need a Structural Engineer’s certification for the proposed Shed or Outbuilding?

Yes, you will need to have the proposed shed, outbuilding or the like, checked, certified and signed by a practicing, professional Structural Engineer.

You will also need to let us know when the building work is complete by lodging a BA7 – Notice of Completion, or if the responsible person changes by lodging a BA8 – Notice of Cessation. For more information, refer to the Section 6: Notices of Completion and Cessation page on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website.

Lodging a planning or building application for building a shed or outbuilding

Both planning and building applications can be lodged online by emailing

The following application forms and checklists provide more information about what to include in your application:

Planning applications


We aim to process applications within the following guidelines:

  • Where we don’t need to consult with neighbours or external agencies: 60 days.
  • Where we need to consult with neighbours or external agencies: 90 days.

These timelines may sometimes be extended in consultation with the applicant.

Fees and charges

Planning application fees are calculated based on the contract value of the project which can be calculated using our Fee Calculator. Some planning application fees are covered by the Town’s Schedule of Fees & Charges.

Building permit applications


We process all certified applications (BA1 forms) within 10 working days, and all uncertified applications (BA2 forms) within 25 working days.

You should apply for a certified application (BA1) when you have had the plans, specifications and technical documents assessed by a registered private building surveyor and have been issued a Certificate of Design Compliance (BA3). You should apply for an uncertified application (BA2) when your plans, specifications and technical documents have not been assessed by a private building surveyor and they will need to be assessed by our building surveyors. Regardless of the type of application, you will need an engineer to certify your plans.

If we need further information to assess your application, you will have up to 21 calendar days to provide any outstanding information. We then have the balance of the remaining 10 working days to provide a determination.

If you do not provide the outstanding information within the 21 days, we may refuse your application.

Fees and charges

The building permit fees for a residential dwelling with a contract value greater than $20,000 is calculated at the following percentages of the total contract price:

  • Application Fee – 0.19%
  • Building Service Levy  – 0.137%

You may also need to pay a verge bond fee and the CTF Levy. Use our online fee calculator to estimate your building fees.

Infrastructure Protection Bond

For building projects over $20,000, you will also need to pay an Infrastructure Protection Bond. An Infrastructure Protection Bond is held by us to ensure that any damage caused to the Town’s verge infrastructure during construction works is rectified to pre-works condition.

To find out more and apply, visit our Infrastructure Protection Bond page.

CTF Levy

If your project has a construction value of more than $20,000, you will need to pay the Construction Training Fund (CTF) Levy. The rate of the levy is 0.2% of the total value of construction (inclusive of GST).

Permit for Activity on Thoroughfare (PAT)

If you need to use the Town’s verges or reserves for construction related activities (e.g. storage of building materials, skip bin, deliveries, cranes, etc.) you will need to apply for a Permit for Activity on Thoroughfare.

Other agencies to consult

It is important to check with our Technical Services team and other service providers (e.g. Water Corp and Western Power) to ensure your proposed development does not affect any existing assets (e.g. drainage infrastructure, sewer easements, power poles).

Noisy construction work

If you plan on doing noisy work outside the hours of 7.00am to 7.00pm Monday to Saturday, except for Sundays and public holidays when no noisy work can occur, you must get approval from our Environmental Health Services team by submitting a noise management plan.

Building or renovating as an owner-builder

An owner-builder is someone who has the skill or capacity to build or alter their own house or small commercial building or supervise construction work.

If the construction value of the work is over $20,000, you will need to apply to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) for an Owner-Builder Certificate. You must have an owner-builder certificate before we will grant you a building permit


If your building project involves demolition, you will need to obtain a demolition permit. For more information, see our Demolitions page.

Planning approval is only required to demolish a building if it is listed as a heritage place on the Town’s Municipal Inventory of Heritage Places or the State Heritage Register (inHerit).

Works affecting other land

You must get consent from the owner/s of adjoining land prior to work starting, if any of your works may be reasonably likely to affect their land. For more information, including links to the consent forms, visit the Section 11: Works Affecting Other Land Page on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website.

Safe asbestos removal

If you are altering part of your house that contains asbestos, or you think may contain asbestos, it’s important you follow appropriate safety precautions. Visit our Asbestos page for more information.

Guiding documents