This website may not work correctly in Internet Explorer. We recommend switching to a more secure modern web browser such as Microsoft Edge which is already installed on your computer.

View this website in Edge.

Local Government Election 2023

Meet our new Mosman Park Councillors

FOGO in Mosman Park

All your FOGO questions answered here

Sunset Eats this Sunday 3 December

Free entry, live music, food trucks, great vibes.

Commercial, mixed use and non-residential

This page provides information on planning and building requirements for commercial, mixed use and other non-residential developments.

Planning approval required for commercial, mixed-use or non-residential developments

The scope of works proposed will determine whether or not you need planning approval for your project.

When planning approval is required:

  • New mixed use, commercial or industrial developments, including shop, office or medical premises
  • Additions and/or alterations to existing mixed use, commercial and industrial developments

When planning approval may be required:

When planning approval is not required:

  • Internal building works to non-heritage-listed commercial premises, if the works will not increase the floor area.


We aim to process applications within the following guidelines:

  • Where we don’t need to consult with neighbours or external agencies: 60 days.
  • Where we need to consult with neighbours or external agencies: 90 days.

These timelines may sometimes be extended in consultation with the applicant.

Fees and charges

Planning application fees are calculated based on the contract value of the project which can be calculated using our Fee Calculator. Some planning application fees are covered by the Town’s Schedule of Fees & Charges.

Pre-lodgement meetings

We encourage you to discuss your proposal with us before lodging a planning application. This is particularly important for mixed use, commercial and industrial developments which can be quite complex. Pre-lodgement meetings can improve the overall quality of the design and smooth out the planning approval process.

A pre-lodgement meeting may include the following:

Contact our planning team to organise a pre-lodgement meeting.

Joint Development Assessment Panel (JDAP) applications

It is important to note that we are not the decision-maker for all planning applications and some applications are referred to the Metro Inner-North Joint Development Assessment Panel for determination.

These applications include:

  • All proposed developments that have an estimated construction cost of $10 million or more are not decided by us and are referred to the for determination (mandatory)
  • An application with an estimated cost of construction is between $2-10million and the applicant elects to have the decision made by the JDAP.

For more information about the role of the Metro Inner-North Joint Development Assessment Panel, visit our Development Assessment Panel page. 

Building approval Rrquired for commercial, mixed-use or non-residential developments

You will need to apply for various building approvals prior to and after construction of a mixed use, commercial or industrial building.

This includes:

  • Application for a building permit prior to commencing any works
  • Application for an occupancy permit or building approval certificate (after construction)
  • Application for demolition permit (if required)

Please visit our Building Forms & Documents page for specific application forms and requirements for submitting a building permit application.


We process all BA1 – Application for Building Permit (certified) within 10 working days.

If we need further information to assess your application, you will have up to 21 calendar days to provide any outstanding information. We then have the balance of the remaining 10 working days in which to provide a determination.

If the information is not received within the 21 days, we may refuse your application.

Fees and charges

The building permit fees for a residential dwelling with a contract value greater than $20,000 is calculated at the following percentages of the total contract price:

  • Application Fee – 0.19%
  • Building Service Levy  – 0.137%

You may also need to pay a verge bond fee and the CTF Levy. Use our online fee calculator to estimate your building fees.

Infrastructure Protection Bond

For building projects over $20,000, you will also need to pay an Infrastructure Protection Bond. An Infrastructure Protection Bond is held by us to ensure that any damage caused to the Town’s verge infrastructure during construction works is rectified to pre-works condition.

To find out more and apply, visit our Infrastructure Protection Bond page.

CTF Levy

If your project has a construction value of more than $20,000, you will need to pay the Construction Training Fund (CTF) Levy. The rate of the levy is 0.2% of the total value of construction (inclusive of GST).

Permit for Activity on Thoroughfare (PAT)

If you need to use the Town’s verges or reserves for construction related activities (e.g. storage of building materials, skip bin, deliveries, cranes, etc.) you will need to apply for a Permit for Activity on Thoroughfare.

Construction Management Plan (CMP)

A CMP is required where a condition of planning approval requires one. This is dependent on the scope of works proposed and the location of your property. Where a CMP is required, it must be submitted to, and approved by, the Town prior to submitting your building permit application. If the CMP is not approved prior to submitting your building permit application, your building permit application will be placed on hold until the condition of planning approval is cleared (i.e. the CMP is approved).

For more information, fees, application form and checklist please visit our Construction Management Plan page

Other agencies to consult

It is important to check with our Technical Services team and other service providers (e.g. Water Corp and Western Power) to ensure your proposed development does not affect any existing assets (e.g. drainage infrastructure, sewer easements, power poles).

Noisy construction work

If you plan on doing noisy work outside the hours of 7.00am to 7.00pm Monday to Saturday, except for Sundays and public holidays when no noisy work can occur, you must get approval from our Environmental Health Services team by submitting a noise management plan.

Works affecting other land

You must get consent from the owner/s of adjoining land prior to work starting, if any of your works may be reasonably likely to affect their land. For more information, including links to the consent forms, visit the Section 11: Works Affecting Other Land Page on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website.

Safe asbestos removal

If you are altering part of your house that contains asbestos, or you think may contain asbestos, it’s important you follow appropriate safety precautions. Visit our Asbestos page for more information.

Guiding documents