This website may not work correctly in Internet Explorer. We recommend switching to a more secure modern web browser such as Microsoft Edge which is already installed on your computer.

View this website in Edge.

FOGO in Mosman Park

All your FOGO questions answered here

Community safety takes all of us

Report anti-social and disruptive behaviour online with the Town and Department of Communities here. For police presence call 131 444.

Underground Power Project update

What's the latest and next steps


This page gives an overview of building requirements for demolishing a building or structure. You may require development (planning) approval, or building approval, or both. The following information will help you determine what approvals you need and how to lodge an application.

Planning approval is only required prior to demolishing a building or structure if it is listed as a heritage place on the Town’s Municipal Inventory of Heritage Places or the State Heritage Register (inHerit).

Building approval for demolition work

You will need to apply for a BA5 – Demolition Permit before starting the proposed works.

Some buildings may be exempt from requiring a demolition permit. Buildings such as patios, sheds, pergolas and alfrescos (classified as freestanding Class 10 buildings or incidental structures), which have a floor area of less than 40m2 and will not affect the safety and health of the occupants of the building if demolished, may be exempt. To check if your project meets this criteria, contact us to speak to our building team.

You will also need to let us know when the demolition work is complete by lodging a BA7 – Notice of Completion, or if the responsible person changes by lodging a BA8 – Notice of Cessation. For more information, refer to the Section 6: Notices of Completion and Cessation page on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website.

Lodging a building application for demolition work

Building applications can be lodged online by emailing

The following guides provide more information about what to include in your application.

Building permit applications


We process all demolition permit applications (BA5 forms) within 10 working days.

If we need further information to assess your application, you will have up to 21 calendar days to provide any outstanding information. We then have the balance of the remaining 10 working days to provide a determination.

If you do not provide the outstanding information within the 21 days, we may refuse your application.

Fees and charges

The building permit fees for a residential dwelling with a contract value greater than $20,000 is calculated at the following percentages of the total contract price:

  • application fee: 0.19%
  • building service levy: 0.137%

You may also need to pay a verge bond fee and the CTF Levy. Use our online fee calculator to estimate your building fees.

Infrastructure protection bond

For building projects over $20,000, you will also need to pay an Infrastructure Protection Bond. An Infrastructure Protection Bond is held by us to ensure that any damage caused to the Town’s verge infrastructure during construction works is rectified to pre-works condition.

To find out more and apply, visit our infrastructure protection bond page

CTF levy

If your project has a construction value of more than $20,000, you will need to pay the Construction Training Fund (CTF) Levy. The rate of the levy is 0.2% of the total value of construction (inclusive of GST).

Permit for activity on thoroughfare (PAT)

If you need to use the Town’s verges or reserves for construction related activities (e.g. storage of building materials, skip bin, deliveries, cranes, etc.) you will need to apply for a Permit for Activity on Thoroughfare

Removing a pool or spa as part of demolition work

If you are removing a pool or spa as part of your demolition, please notify us:

One of our swimming pool inspectors must conduct a site visit to confirm the swimming pool or spa has been correctly removed or decommissioned. To book a swimming pool or spa inspection, please visit our residential swimming pools and spas page

Safe asbestos removal

If your demolition work involves the removal of asbestos, it’s important you follow appropriate safety precautions. Visit our asbestos page for more information.

Works affecting other land

You must get consent from the owner/s of adjoining land prior to work starting, if any of your works may be reasonably likely to affect their land. For more information, including links to the consent forms, visit the Section 11: Works Affecting Other Land Page on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website.

Other agencies to consult

It is important to check with our Technical Services team and other service providers (e.g. Water Corp and Western Power) to ensure your proposed demolition does not affect any existing assets (e.g. drainage infrastructure, sewer easements, power poles).

Guiding documents