Nominating for Mayor or Councillor in elections
To nominate to become an Elected Member (whether that be the Mayor or Councillor) you must:
- be 18 years of age or older
- not be disqualified from being an Elected Member under a provision of the Act
- be an elector of the district (if you are only an elector because you are a nominee of a company then you are not eligible to stand as a candidate)
- if you are a current council member, have a term that ends on election day, unless you are standing for Mayor
- complete the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries’ mandatory induction course for local government election candidates (accessed through the Department’s website)
Nominations are to be finalised and lodged in person with the Town’s Returning Officer, who is responsible for the local government elections once the nomination period opens.