The Town has received an applicant led Scheme Amendment (SA) from Rowe Group, acting on behalf of Rocky Bay Limited.
Under the Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015, The Town is required to assess the proposed SA and present a report to Council for their decision.
The technical review by Town planners will comprehensively address the following key aspects:
- Urban Planning: ensuring that the proposed SA is aligned with State Planning Policies, and Local Planning Frameworks such as the Town’s Precinct Policies and Design Review Panel Requirements, with the primary goal of ensuring it is appropriate for our area
- Parks and Environment: optimising waste management, and ensuring tree canopy targets are maintained (including the assessment of any areas that may be designated as future public open space)
- Technical Services: reviewing the submitted traffic report to assess if future traffic volume is likely to be generated by any development. The internal road network will also be reviewed to ensure traffic will flow smoothly on the site.
Mayor Paul Shaw said the Town’s Planning team is diligently completing the technical review before a comprehensive report is presented to Council in early 2024.
The report will encompass key findings based on the technical review, as well as a recommendation to Council taking one of the following pathways:
- To proceed with the amendment in its current form
- To proceed with the amendment subject to specific modifications
- To opt not to proceed with the amendment
“If it’s given the green light by the Planning Minister to advertise next year, the Town will undertake significant consultation so that we can get our community’s thoughts and feedback,” said Mayor Shaw.
Once Council makes a decision, the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) will review the proposal in relation to suitability for the proposed zoning. The EPA will also assess and comment on any potential contamination issues on the site.
The report will outline the course and trajectory for the SA.
If Council decides to recommend granting consent to advertise either in its current form or a modified form, the next step in the process is for the Planning Minister to decide whether to grant permission to advertise the amendment as modified, as proposed, or not at all.
Ultimately, the final decision regarding the overall Scheme Amendment its approval or refusal will rest with the Planning Minster.
In line with state regulations, the SA documents and further details can only be released to the public if the Planning Minister grants permission to do so. This milestone could then trigger community consultation during early to mid-2024, at which point the documents can be released.
Next steps and projected dates
Most Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Scheme Amendment (SA)?
A Scheme Amendment is a formalised planning process designed to change the land use and zoning of a particular site or, in some cases, an entire area. An example of a site is a street address; while an example of an entire area is our Town Centre.
When did the Town receive the SA?
Rowe Group (acting on behalf of Rocky Bay Limited) submitted the SA to the Town at the end of October 2023. This SA is therefore ‘applicant-led’.
Can I view the SA documentation?
Not yet. In line with state regulations, the SA documents and further details can only be released to the public if the Planning Minister grants permission to do so.
This milestone could then trigger community consultation in early to mid-2024. It is only at this point that the documents can be released.